Friday, July 24, 2009

Two Years Past and Why I'm Calling

It's been two years since I opened this blog. Since then, I've made quite a few major changes in my life, quite natural in a young person's life. I've graduated high scool, entered college, and spent two more summers abroad. Despite those changes, I still remain very much the same person I was when I left China two years ago. I am still a sentimentalist, a perfectionist, a music-lover, a dog-owner, a daughter, a reader, a thinker, a singer. What has changed me in the past two years has not been the momentous occasions and special events, but rather the continuing to do what I love most - sing, read, travel, and make friends, all the way trying to find my own way through this very large world.

Today is not important day, nor is it a special one in the context of my life so far. I have not just done something completely new, exciting, or life-altering in any way. No one has entered or left my life. I am not in a place I've never been before, nor have I discovered anything never seen before. Today is merely the day I worked up the courage and patience to write. Courage to say my life is interesting enough to write about. Patience to put down in words the fleeting thoughts and events that make up my existence.

I am quite out of my element. This is not my cup of tea, nor my pick of poison. But somehow, forced as it is, it feels right. How long it will feel right, I don't know. I can't promise to keep writing. I can't promise to have anything meaningful to say. I can't even promise that I won't delete all I've just written. But maybe today is a momentous occasion. I'll let you know tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment