Friday, June 4, 2010

Ah Paris, que tu es belle!

I've just arrived in Paris today - quite proud of myself as I managed to find my way from the airport to my homestay without much problem, except that it took me a bit to find the house number because, voilà, I didn't look high enough on the building to notice the sign. Luckily two very polite French children let me in and showed me how to use the intercom to phone my family. Mishap numéro 1. We'll count how many more I make before my month here is up :)

First thoughts upon descending into Charles de Gaulle airport this morning: "Man, this land is FLAT." Far different from the hills and valleys (and water) of the Bay Area, the areas surrounding the city are flat and mostly covered in farmland - adorable patches of land laid out like a patchwork quilt with little clusters of houses sprinkled here and there at the intersections of its seams. Caught my first glimpse of the Seine curving through the city as well - can't wait until Sunday's bateau mouche cruise on the Seine with the other SBC students.

One site that doesn't change from country to country that I've visited - the suburbs. In China, in the U.S., and as I saw today, in France too, suburbia looks much the same - manicured, planned, curving streets and cookie-cutter houses - and I get the same Truman Show/Stepford Wives feeling everytime I see these communities from above. It's very interesting the way people spread out from cities into the suburbs in similar ways all over the world, it seems.

No pictures yet today - I was too jetlagged to do any sightseeing save for the 20 minute walk over from the shuttle bus stop to la maison, but tomorrow, armed with just my camera and a map of Paris, I plan to venture out into the city without any agenda at all but to see Paris. First stop - likely the Galeries Lafayette, birthplace of the modern shopping mall (haha, yes i know), which is just a couple minutes' walk from my place.

My homestay family, the Charoys, are very nice people, and I adore the father, Bruno, already. Today, after my nap, I woke up to find him getting ready to bake chocolate cake. He let me pour the sugar, butter the pan, and lick the spatula. Wonderful man :) He has a French cooking degree too - I hope by the end of this month I'll have picked up enough French cooking skills to keep myself fed when I get back to Berkeley this fall.

I feel my French improving already - Bruno and the rest of the family are incredibly patient with my choppy French and don't hesitate to correct my conjugations and agreements, etc. We talk about politics and world news a great deal - the French keep very well informed, and apparently they are big Obama fans. I'm going to learn so much this month - keep you posted!

A bientôt!


1 comment: