Saturday, June 5, 2010

Mon Quartier/My Neighborhood

To start, a few photos of my home in Paris, chez Charoy, in the 9th arrondissement. Below is my building; you can see my room on the second floor with the window open - the sounds of the neighborhood filter in during the day, just another way to enjoy the atmosphere of Paris.


The intersection near my host family's home. Our street is rue de Clichy.
The view from down the street. I love the architecture of the buildings - the wrought-iron railings and the carved embellishments give off are so charming and romantic. Cafés line rue de Clichy, as they do every other street in Paris.
The spire of L'église de la Sainte-Trinité, and the iconic métro.

Clever city-planning: Paris is divided into 20 arrondissements, or districts, the first of which is located in the center of the city. The rest of the arrondissements spiral clockwise around the city like a snail. (Escargot!)
The 9th arrondissement, where I am staying, is home to many famous sights, including the old opera house, Opéra Garnier, and the magnificent Galeries Lafayette, granddaddy (or should I say grandmother?) of the modern shopping mall.
An interesting note: the shopping malls in Beijing and Shanghai, and even some of the smaller cities in China, are laid out just like Galeries Lafayette, with the individual stores arranged by theme on each level, unlike the American megamalls that house each vendor in an individual storefront. With less space used for walkways, this mall can fit more vendors, and with that, more variety, into a smaller space. Makes sense that the Chinese took their shopping inspiration from Paris - just the fashion capital of the world. :P

I spent my afternoon observing French weekend life, first at a bustling street market and then in the picturesque Luxembourg Gardens. No conclusions yet, but I'm beginning to see what all the fuss is about. Relaxed lifestyle, quality living, sophistication all around - I could get use to this! Nonetheless, the industrious American in me wants to cry, "But work! When do they work??" That, we shall see on Monday, when I officially begin my program here in Paris and the Parisians begin their working week.

Till then, bon journée!

1 comment:

  1. Bon journee! So beautiful, it is described!

    ReplyDelete