Monday, June 25, 2007

first of many mishaps

this is a bit embarrassing: just a reminder of useless I am in this country where I'm almost completely illiterate and definitely nothing but a liability
Its only 11 in the morning and I've already failed three small tasks I've been asked to perform. The first was a proofreading job in which I was supposed to read an article and check for typos. I was so excited to be able to actually do something useful until I found out the article was in chinese. Failure number one. My Chinese literacy is very very low. The fact that my conversational chinese is acceptable is extremely misleading when I can actually only read to the extent of second or third grade level Chinese. Or even less. Sorry to admit, but i'm a fraud.
An hour later, one of the producers 包涛wanted me to go down to the reception room to pick up a few express mail packages. Well this task requires the use of an ID card to get in and out of the front gate, and i dont have an ID card yet, so to make sure I woudln't run into any trouble wiht the guards my shadowee 王红岭went with me and pretty much did the whole thing. Failure number two.
Half an hour ago, a lady asked me to go down to the mailroom and retrieve a package for her. Now this doens't entail leaving any gates, just crossing the main hall, asking for the package, and signing it off. But somehow I managed to leave the building looking for the mailroom and be stopped by the guard trying to get back in. He won't let me back in because I dont have a pass so now I have to call up for someone to come get me. Failure number three.
I really hope I do better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment